Jamal Jbara Attorney at Law PC staff

Gain a greater understanding of how immigration law works

We hope that our immigration law blogs will provide greater understanding and knowledge about how immigration works in the U.S. When immigrating, the obstacles people face can be challenging. In fact, numerous legal requirements complicate the process. However, here at the Law Office of Jamal Jbara, we can handle all these requirements for you, which helps the process run smoothly.

Born in Puerto Rico to a mother of Colombian descent, attorney Jamal Jbara is fluent in Spanish. He focuses his practice entirely on immigration law and has over 20 years of experience. In addition, our staff is also fluent in Spanish.

What kind of immigration issues do clients often face?

Our law office provides legal help in all areas of immigration. That said, some of the most common issues our customers need help with include:

  • Family-based immigration. Family immigration is the primary basis for legal immigration to the United States. You can obtain lawful permanent residency through petitions filed by certain family members, such as the spouse, parent, adult child, or siblings of a U.S. citizen. Processing times can vary greatly depending on the type of family member sponsoring you. For example, a petition from a U.S. citizen spouse or adult child is usually approved in less than a year, while a U.S. citizen sibling petition can take more than 12 years.
  • Visas. Obtaining an immigrant visa can help you obtain U.S. citizenship. In comparison, nonimmigrant visas allow you to stay in the United States for a limited period of time.
  • U Visa. If you have been the victim of a felony and reported the incident to the police, you and your family may be eligible for a work authorization and lawful permanent residence.
  • Asylum. If you fear persecution in your country, you may qualify for asylum in the United States.
  • Citizenship and naturalization. An attorney can guide you through naturalization, the process of becoming a U.S. citizen.
  • Battered spouses. Are you a spouse, child, or parent who has experienced domestic violence? We may be able to help you apply for an immigrant visa through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
  • Adjustment of status. Permanent Residency Application Process Here in the U.S.
  • Cancellation of removal. If you have been a law-abiding person in the U.S. For more than 10 years and you have American children, a spouse/parent who has medical problems or special needs, may be eligible to obtain legal residency through the immigration courts.
  • Deportation/Removal Defense. If you are facing deportation and removal proceedings, an attorney can review your circumstances. We may be able to design an effective deportation defense.
  • Immigration Appeals. Initial immigration applications are often denied. However, the appeals process has helped many people overturn initial rulings.
  • Special petitions for immigrant minors. We help young people who have suffered abuse, neglect or neglect by one or both parents. They may also be eligible for permanent residency in the U.S.
  • Motions to reopen immigration procedures. An experienced immigration attorney can help people reopen proceedings. Often, these are procedures that occurred many years ago. Because situations change, you may seek lawful permanent residence later.
  • Waivers of inadmissibility. Many factors can result in the inadmissibility of the country, such as a crime, immigration fraud, or illegal entry into the U.S. However, depending on the issues involved, we may be able to help you obtain a waiver or waiver that will allow you to obtain lawful permanent residency.

Get legal help with immigration problems

To schedule an appointment, contact us online or call our offices at (718) 361-7984