Battered Spouses & U-Visas

We Provide Immigration Counsel to Battered Spouses, Children and Parents

Experienced Immigration Lawyer in New York and throughout the United States

If you are living in the United States as a foreign national without lawful permanent residency, and have been subjected to domestic violence or abuse, whether as a child, spouse or parent, you can file a petition for an immigrant visa through the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended by the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The law allows you to file the petition without the abuser’s knowledge, helping promote safety in the process. The process is complex, though, so you want an experienced and knowledgeable attorney to guide you through the process. The law office of Jamal Jbara can help.

At the law offices of Jamal Jbara, in Long Island City, New York, we have fought for the rights of immigrants in the United States for more than 20 years, including women, children and parents who have been victims of domestic violence or abuse. We are licensed to provide immigration counsel in all 50 states.

Over the last two decades, we have helped hundreds of clients get positive results in immigration matters. We built our practice on a commitment to establish strong relationships with our clients. We recognize that every case is different, so we’ll take the time to get to know you, and to understand your circumstances and your needs. We’ll provide you with an honest and thorough evaluation of your case, and won’t take your time or your money if we don’t believe we can win your case.

In our years in practice, we have seen regular changes to the laws and regulations governing immigrants and immigration. We have remained committed to staying current with all new developments, so that we can help you best achieve your goals. We will explain the law and the process, and make certain you understand your rights, your options and your chances of meeting your goals, so that you can make educated decisions that are in your best interests.

We provide a comprehensive and confidential consultation to anyone with a potential immigration dispute. To set up an appointment, send us an email or call our offices at (718) 361-7984.


Let Us Help You File for an Immigrant Visa as a Victim of Domestic Violence or Abuse

We handle all matters related to an application for an immigrant visa under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), or as a battered spouse, child or parent. We will work confidentially with you to gather all necessary evidence to support your claims of domestic violence, and will complete and file all documents required by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to apply for your visa. We will also be your advocate in all hearings, meetings and proceedings. Our ultimate goal, when filing an application for an immigrant visa for victims of domestic violence or abuse, is the issuance of a green card.


Contact the Law Offices of Jamal Jbara

To set up a private meeting to discuss your immigration issues, contact us online or call our offices at 718-361-7984. There’s a small charge for the first meeting, but we will apply the fee to the total cost of representation, should you become a client. Our offices are open weekdays during traditional business hours and Saturdays from 9:30 until 1 pm. We also schedule evening appointments upon request. We take all major credit cards. Se habla español .

Our Legal Focus

Family Based



Special Immigrant
Juvenile Petitions

Citizenship &

Battered Spouses
U Visas

Motions to


Adjustment of

Cancellation of

Deportation / Removal


Waivers of

Experienced Immigration Attorney—New York and Nationwide

We Help Crime Victims Pursue Nonimmigrant Status through a U Visa

If you are a foreign national living in the United States, and you (or your family members) have been the victim of a crime, you may be eligible to apply for a U visa, which can allow you to stay in the country when you might not otherwise be legally able to. U visas are only available to victims of certain crimes and there are a number of requirements to qualify for U nonimmigrant status. An experienced and knowledgeable immigration lawyer can help you through the process. Contact the law offices of Jamal Jbara.

At the Long Island City law offices of Jamal Jbara, we have provided comprehensive and compassionate legal counsel to immigrants in New York and across the United States for more than 20 years, including people seeking nonimmigrant status after being victims of criminal activity (through a U visa). We are licensed to provide immigration counsel in all 50 states.

We have successfully handled hundreds of immigration disputes involving a broad range of issues, including family immigration, deportation and removal, asylum and naturalization and citizenship. Over the past two decades, we have seen significant changes in the laws and regulations governing immigration, and have worked hard to stay current with all developments, so that we can help our clients pursue the best outcome.

The foundation of our practice has always been the relationships we establish with our clients. We understand the personal nature of immigration matters, as well as the unique circumstances of every case. We’ll take the time to listen and learn, so that we know where you stand and what you need to resolve your immigration issues. We will give you an honest and thorough consultation, fully explaining  the law and the process, as well as your rights, options and likelihood of getting the outcome you want. We carefully evaluate every case that comes to us, only taking those we believe we can win.

To arrange a private meeting with an experienced immigration lawyer, contact our office online or call us at (718) 361-7984.

Our Representation in Applications for U Nonimmigrant Visas

We have a comprehensive knowledge of the requirements for eligibility, as well as the steps that need to be taken to apply for a U visa. We will carefully review the facts and circumstances of your case to confirm that you qualify. We will also:

  • Assist you with the petition for U nonimmigrant status, whether as the victim or as a family member of the victim


  • Obtain the necessary certification from a qualifying agency that you provided helpfulness or assistance to law enforcement officers
  • Help you and family members prepare work permits, if applicable
  • File your petition and all appropriate documents with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS)
  • Attend any interview with you, if necessary

Contact Immigration Attorney Jamal Jbara

Contact us online or call our offices at 718-361-7984 to schedule an appointment. There’s a small charge for your first consultation, but we will apply it to your legal fees, should we decide to represent you. We are available to meet with you weekdays during normal business hours, Saturdays from 9:30 until 1 pm, and evenings upon request. We accept all major credit cards. Se habla español.

We focus our practice on meeting the immigration needs of people in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, Long Island, Nassau County, Suffolk County and Westchester County, but can protect the rights of immigrants across the United States

Get Started

Jamal Jbara Attorney at Law, P.C.
30-30 Northern Blvd. Suite 401
Long Island City, NY 11101

Contact US

1 + 3 =